Noel Ferguson – Principal Consultant
- Consultant to numerous businesses, including start-ups, and helped them to take innovative ideas to new markets, including export markets.
- Used to using a combination of economic theory and practical experience when developing and executing regional economic development strategies.
- Deep and practical best-practice business mentoring, including community mentoring.
- Understand the benefits of inclusiveness when creating opportunities / solving problems.
- Designed and developed business management systems that have transformed industries.
- Managed numerous high-spend and complex projects and kept them on track.
- Able to apply lessons learned from one industry and/or business in another.
- Successful international marketing across several industries.
- Created and managed teams of people from different cultures and status.
- Good at building and maintaining relationships.
- Consistently seeking better ways to do things.
- I aim to manage risk. I see failure as a learning opportunity.
- Able to work under pressure and effectively prioritise tasks to meet deadlines.
- Can direct, control and plan activities – my own and those of others.
- Comfortable co-creating with people unused to holistic thinking.
- A naturally high level of communication and problem-solving skills.
According to Clifton StrengthsFinder (Gallup, Inc.), my most dominant talent themes are:
- Learner – I love to learn. I am energised by the steady and deliberate journey from ignorance to competence.
- Ideation – I am always looking for connections. I am intrigued when seemingly disparate phenomena can be linked by an obscure connection.
- Strategic – I can sort through the clutter and find the best way. It is not a skill that can be taught. It is a special perspective on the world at large. It allows me to see patterns where others simply see complexity.
- Input – I find many things interesting. The world is exciting precisely because of its infinite variety and complexity.
- Maximizer – Excellence, not average, is my measure.
Summary of Roles
|2019||Noel Ferguson & Associates. Levin, New Zealand. Principal Consultant.
Economic Development Facilitation, Developing Sustainable Businesses, Learning and Employment, Internet and Technology.
|2014-2018||Wingecarribee Shire Council, Moss Vale, NSW, Australia. Economic Development Manager. Developing regional resilience.
Included identifying commercial opportunities for improving sustainability across the following sectors: Water, Food, Shelter, Energy, Transport, Technology, Art, Recreation, Business/Tourism, and Learning.
|2013-2014||Mid-West Development Commission, Geraldton, Western Australia. Principal Project Manager, Communities & Technology. Included designing internet technology opportunities for remote communities.|
|2005-2013||Self Employed, Tokoroa, Hamilton, Auckland, Seoul. Business/Internet Consulting, Voluntary Community Consulting, Website development, Film Production Software/Consulting, Project Accounting.|
|2002-2005||South Waikato District Council, Tokoroa. Economic Development Manager. Strategy Development, Small Business Development, Public/Private Projects, Regional Image and Branding, Technology in Communities, Education and Lifelong Learning.|
|1997-2002||Self Employed, Auckland. Business/Internet Consulting, Website development, Film Production Software/Consulting, Project Accounting.|
|1988-1997||Remarkable Software Ltd, Auckland. Owner/Manager. Managed a 10-person team. Developed and marketed industry-specific software nationally/internationally.|
|1984-1988||Remarkable Films Ltd (Software Division), Dunedin. Division Director/Manager. Managed a 25-person team. Developed and marketed software nationally/internationally. NZ consumables distribution.|
|Pre 1984||Various, including University and overseas travel. Graduated with Bachelor of Management Studies from the University of Waikato in 1977.|